Cambusnethan House, UK – A Ruined Gothic Mansion
In 1820, designed in the Quasi-ecclesiastical style of the Gothic Revival, the mansion stands on a prestigious site surrounded by orch-yards and wood forests. At that time, this precinct was a beautiful and fertile land with chestnuts, walnuts, apprecocks, peaches, wine berries, etc. Later, the orch-yards gradually declined, and in the mid-1960s, the parkland was cleared and the land converted to agricultural use. However, nowadays, the Cambusnethan house has become a dilapidated mansion due to a lack of permanent residents.
Where is Cambusnethan House located?
Cambusnethan House, also known as Cambusnethan Priory, is located in North Lanarkshire, Scotland. This house is a large Gothic mansion in the Clyde Valley, two kilometers southwest of Wishaw, with spectacular views across the river to Cambusnethan Priory, also, approximately three miles from Hamilton and four miles from Mauldslie.
History of Cambusnethan House
Near the present building site stood the Norman Tower House, followed by a seventeenth-century Manor House. Cambusnethan House was built in 1820 after the Manor House burnt down in 1810, and the mansion was built for Lockhart of Lee at Auchenglen in Lanarkshire. The leading architect of Cambusnethan House was James Gillespie Graham, the most sought-after Gothic/Tudor house designer at the time. The mansion spans nearly 100 feet in length and 50 feet in width. It contains 03 public rooms and 27 rooms with fireplaces, the largest of which is 35 feet long and 25 feet wide.
The family crest is carved above the main entrance and on each balustrade of the main staircase inside. The house has two floors and three floors. And a massive square vestibule and a three-story bow on the west side, the house has various architectural features. In addition, there are carved design chimneys, narrow pointed windows, drip molds, and ornate pinnacles have been removed for safety. In the early 1960s, it was rented as an architect’s office for a few years and later used as a hotel, restaurant, and medieval banqueting hall.
The mansion’s use ended in 1984, and the building suffered a fire. Nearby Wishaw Coltness House and Allanton House are also now destroyed. Cambusnethan House is one of the best-surviving examples of the Gothic style. An inspection in 1990 revealed that it had reached a critical condition, with the walls severely cracked and the roof destroyed. Cambusnethan House has fallen into disrepair due to over forty years of no permanent residents, and its current owner’s long-term plans have not been successful. Due to this, the rainwater is eroding some of the stones outside, and the building is ending its life.
Tourist significance of Cambusnethan House
The area, with broad-leaved forest cover in a forest and farmland landscape, is a good haven for various flora and fauna. For those more interested in photography, drone cameras can provide excellent views. There are also opportunities for day outs with the kids when the weather is not a problem. Apart from this, there are several indoor attractions around Cambusnethan House. Summary Built in 1820, Cambusnethan House was damaged and destroyed by fire in the 1980s and was included in the list of buildings at risk register for Scotland under the critical category. However, it is unfortunate that this building, known as a historic landmark in Scotland with cultural and historical importance, was allowed to be destroyed. Read more ……..